Friday 19 August 2011

Nebraska baby!

Hey all. I landed in North Platte Nebraska yesterday and met up with my host family at the airport. I had a lot of flights but I managed to get around ok. In chicago a woman who worked at the airport took me to my gate which was really nice because I never would have found it. Once I got to denver I was on my own though. I just kept looking for people in uniform and asking them questions. This one pilot told me I had to go down the escalators and catch a train to the A gates. I assumed ‘train’ was what they called those weird conveyor belt things people were walking along. I was a fool! I went down the escalators and there was an actual train. In the airport. A train. What. After I got on that and did a bit more asking, I made it to my gate alright. Then I had to catch a tiny little itty bitty plane to north platte. It was seriously small. Not much sitting between you and the clouds. There were only about 7 or 8 of us on the plane. Only a 45 minute flight though. Yay! Oh my goodness! I got off the plane and met a guy who worked in Washington D.C at the white house. He said he sees Obama all the time and they used to hang out before he became el presidente’! Best thing ever.

Moving on. Once I met my host family they took me for dinner at Arby’s. It was only about 12pm but they still call it dinner. They don’t say lunch. They go breakfast, dinner, supper. I found that a bit strange. Arby’s was alright actually. I liked what I had but some of the stuff on the menu looked a bit nasty. It was VERY hot. We popped over to wall mart and did some shopping, I got my school supplies then we went to the dairy queen. I had never been to a dairy queen before. It smells like frosting in there. Yummy yet sickening. I got a small strawberry sunday. Well thats what I asked for. What a got was a strawberry mountain in a cup. It was ginormica. Never again.

Today! I woke up and got ready to go into my school so I could get enrolled and get my classes sorted and stuff. That was all fine and dandy. They made me a sophomore and the principle showed me around the school which seems quite good. I’m taking US History, English, Algebra, Consumer Education, Biology, Spanish, Choir and I have a study hall period at the end of each day. Before I went to school we went and had dinner (lunch) at the Tumbleweed cafe. It was a classic american style diner and I actually really enjoyed my food. My plate was HUGE and there was a lot of food on it but I just ate what I wanted and it was above satisfactory.

Tonight I went to a football game with Lexie (host mums niece). I had lots of fun. I got to see the cheerleaders and see everyone dressed in the school colours cheering everyone on. Lots of fun. I met some great girls too. We were laughing because I keep getting words wrong when I talk to people. I said maths instead of math, bin instead of trash and stuff like that. I can’t wait to go to more games.

Thats pretty much all thats happening at the moment. I’ll keep ya’ll posted. Hehe...ya’ll...

Jacqui

No comments:

Post a Comment