Monday 15 August 2011

Just another day in New York...

Today was quite good! Got up early and had breakfast with the italians for the first time. The italians sort of keep to themselves so being accepted by them at the brekkie table felt pretty awesome. They’re sort of like the ‘popular’ kids at school. It sort of sucks being one of two Australians because everyone else is from europe and speaks another language. Everyone found the people from their country when they arrived and thats who they stick with. So I’ll be like ‘Hmm I’m bored, I’ll go talk to the Swedish...’ and they’ll all be speaking Swedish while I just nod my head with a smile on my face thinking ‘what the crappin crapper..!?’ and the same thing happens when I go to talk to the Finish kids, or the italians. They’re all too lazy to speak english when they don’t have to. My good friend Andrea makes an effort to try and get the other italians to speak english around me though. He’s wonderful. He is going to let me stay with him in Milan when I visit.

After breakfast we got our big yellow school buses to the mall which was HUGE! Exactly like the ones you see in the movies. There was even mall cops running around pretending they were important. I managed to get a photo of one walking past. I spent the whole day with Andrea, or as I call him ‘pollice’ which means ‘thumb’ in italian. I have another italian friend Matteo who I call ‘polpaccio’ which means ‘calf’ and he calls me ‘cibo’ which means food. I can’t remember exactly how this all happened. Matteo was trying to teach me italian and he was just pointing to body parts and saying what they were called. I took quite a liking to ‘polpaccio’ and decided I would call him that from now on. Then they same thing ended up happening with Andrea and he became thumb. Matteo spent ages teaching me to say ‘I WANT FOOD NOW’ in italian and then once I learned he just started calling me food- cibo.

On the bus today Matteo taught me a song that drunken italians sing. It translates into ‘I drink, I drink, I drink I drink I drink, I get drunk and I’m happy, even after I throw up!’. It’s brilliant in italian. On the bus I was sitting next to a Swiss boy called Pascall. I’m not sure if thats how you spell it but thats how you say it. Like Pascall swirl haha. He has red hair and I told him he was a ‘Ranga’. He loves it. I just call him Ranga now. Makes him smile every time.

Tomorrow I will put up pictures and a video of the drunk italian song but for now I must sleep. Good night everyone! Love you!!

Jacqui

No comments:

Post a Comment