Friday 6 April 2012

Prom

The classic American prom. The reason it’s classic is because it’s the first thing you think of when you hear the words ‘American Teen’. At first I didn’t really know what to think of it. Was it going to be as crap as it looked on tv? Most likely. But after a brief discussion with myself I decided that this was my year in America and I was going to do every crap cliche thing there was out there! I didn’t really know what to expect. All I knew about prom is what I had seen on tv and from what my host mother had told me. “Our prom pretty much means you’re gonna have sex”. Thanks for the words of wisdom Lisa.

First lets start with shopping. I certainly was not one of the many girls in 11th and 12th grade who had been planning what they were going to look like for prom since they could walk without falling over in their mums heels 10 sizes too big, so basically I left everything to the last minute. Procrastination! Only way to do anything. So about 2 weeks before prom I went a shop shoppin’ for the perfect dress. An easy task I assumed, I’ve always known I was picky but surely I would have a decent amount to choose from. Nup. None for me. Turns out that all prom dresses are hideous. At least 98% of them anyway. You know when you watch those old 80’s movies and the girls have those bright coloured, poofy, and just down right ooogly dresses? Yeah, well not much has changed. It was a NIGHTMARE. Everything was so puffy and fluorescent! Lets not even talk about the hideous rhinestones and beading on all of them. I felt so bad every time my sister or host mum would hold up a dress suggesting I try it on because it was just ‘so cute’. All I could say is, no. Gross. Back on the rack. I was grateful they were trying but each of their suggestions was a swing and a miss. I guess only I would know what I wanted.

Tried on about 15 dresses and each one was more repugnant than the last. I needed a hot chocolate and bed by this point. Adam and were just going to have to go to prom dressed as Deb and Napoleon which was our original plan. Second day I had a bit more success. I went to a different store where the dresses weren’t GREAT but they would do. I didn’t LOVE my dress...lets just say it was the best of the worst. I was going to have to rock it anyway because I had nothing else! Yay. Turns out, pale people do not look good in a LOT of colours and I wasn’t about to go start fake baking like the rest of the girls in my school. Oh yes, cancer boxes are all the rage around here.

Skipping all the boring bits...

Now for prom. Before we actually headed to the dance part of things, everyone attending prom went for a meal first at the local country club. Adam and I had the prime rib. Adams was so red, I swear if you put your ear close enough, you could still hear it mooing. Munchy munchy munch. Done and dusted. Now to hitch a ride with our friends Jack and Tressa because they had this sweet 1960’s convertible. Adam and I decided to be cool guys and ride on the back of the convertible like they do in the movies. Seemed like a good idea at the time but I spent most of the ride holding down my fake hair to it wouldn’t fly off onto the road. So we eventually arrive hoorah!




 The theme for our prom was ‘born to be wild’. No it was not a sweet biker theme, it was an animal theme. So you can imagine how much leopard and zebra print there was. Not to mention the giant 15 foot tiger poster taking up most of the side of the gym. Mmmm. Classy. If only there had been an exotic animal petting zoo...that would have been the icing on the cake. So we danced for a little bit but then they started playing all country songs which Adam and I refused to ‘boogie’ too. Country music is bad for the soul. Adam requested ‘satisfaction’ by Benny Banassi but they wouldn’t play it.



So after prom they have...the after prom. The after prom party is basically a thing the parents organise to keep the kids off the street after prom. Our parents club spent $10 000 on this party! It was our town hall. You walked in and the stage is covered in prizes to win and the floor is games galore. Poker tables, photo booth, and this big inflatable jousting arena. You know, two people stand on two stools and try knock each other off. Yeah. The prizes weren’t ordinary prizes. Not your average bag of lollies. They were giving away 32 inch plasmas, a futon, microwaves, ipod speakers, free massage vouchers, bags, gift cards, ipods EVERYTHING. But the best bit of the night by far was the hypnotist they hired. NOTHING is funnier than watching your friends be hypnotised. Seriously. You should try it sometime.
 After prom was the best part of prom! Twas great! Then after the after prom at 4am all our friends and I headed over to Adam’s host for a french toast breakfast. I ate some fruit, toast and bacon, then passed out on Adam’s floor.

And thats prom! A little bit crap but overall I really did have a good time.

The end.





Fun fact: In Nebraska, it is considered ‘fashion’ to wear your trackies (sweat pants) inside out. First of all, they’re trackies so you’re not doing yourself any fashion favours by wearing them in the first place. Second of all, wearing them inside out just makes you look like a goon. Lexie I love you but please, enough is enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment